Sunday 13 February 2011

Hix


Sunday is a day to recover from whatever Saturday brought, well that’s the way I tend to play it anyway. I am someone who likes to think they are visually aware, I’m an Illustration agent but that doesn’t mean I’m only interested in Illustration, quite simply anything that is aesthetically pleasing is exciting to me. Those of you following me on Twitter will know that I have recently moved to London’s W1 which means that the joys of Fitzrovia, Mayfair and Soho are a convenient trot away. It was decided today that lunch at HIX on Brewer St was in order. The thing you have to understand about HIX is that its not just great food, it also means a great drinking experience too. I’m not a big drinker, I never have been, but the wonderful Glenn and Danny at Mark’s Bar (which can be located in the basement of this establishment) are magicians of all things cocktail.
The restaurant itself was opened to critical acclaim in 2009 by Mark Hix. The simple but stylish eatery showcases mobile artworks by Hirst, Donovan and Lucas with Mark’s Bar menu having been devised by the excellent mixologist, Nick Strangeway.
Lunch was delightful, but then the food there is good. My other half and I are lucky enough to have eaten in a number of great restaurants but there is a friendly, relaxed feel to HIX that makes you want to return. This ambiance continues to Mark’s Bar, a truly cool, relaxing space that invites you to enjoy the theatre of watching the amiable bar staff work that magic and enjoy the fruits of their labour in an appropriate glass.
Glenn made me a ‘twist on a Tall Perfect Lady’ executed deliciously with a sort of hand cut apple fan. The clever part? The apple structure was held together purely by its natural juice!
If you are passing by, go check out the restaurant and bar, you’ll be pleased you did.




No comments:

Post a Comment